Introduction: Advocacy —> Recognition —> Access
Since 2005, the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) and the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) have collaborated on a State Recognition Operational Plan. The primary purpose of this plan is to get music therapy and the MT-BC credential recognized by individual states so that citizens can more easily access our services. The AMTA Government Relations staff and the CBMT Regulatory Affairs staff provide guidance and technical support to state task forces throughout the country as they work towards state recognition. To date, their work has resulted in over 40 active state task forces, 2 licensure bills passed in 2011, 1 licensure bill passed in 2012, almost a dozen pieces of legislation in 2013, and an estimated 10 bills in 2014 that seek to create either title protection, registration, or licensure for music therapy. This month, our focus is on YOU and on getting you excited about advocacy.
About the Project
The 2014 Social Media Advocacy Month theme is "We are…" and will center on exploring and honoring the profession of music therapy as a distinct profession, unique from other professions and professionals with which we work. Throughout the month of January, music therapy bloggers and podcasters will be sharing their tips, thoughts, and ideas on advocacy, on being an advocate, and on being a music therapist.
Articles and podcast episodes will be posted to this site throughout the month. Be sure to also follow the #mtadvocacy hashtag on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to stay current with the latest happenings.
Participating Blogs and Podcasts
…in the practice room: A Music Therapy Blog (blogger Tania Cordobes)
- "We Are Music Therapists" new blog post by guest Judy Simpson, MT-BC
- Declaring our Independence! by Guest Dena Register, PhD, MT-BC
- "We are…MUSIC THERAPISTS!" (sent via email to her newsletter subscribers)
- #MTAdvocacy: A Guest Post
- #MTAdvocacy: We are…an EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE!
- #MTAdvocacy: We are…SO many things!
- #MTAdvocacy: We are MUSIC THERAPISTS!
- #MTAdvocacy 101 for New MT Students & Interns!
- #MTAdvocacy: We Are…Board-Certified & Licensed!
- [Guest Post] Welcome to 2014: Declaring Our Independence
- #MTAdvocacy: What We Are
- [#MTAdvocacy Press Release] Setting the Record Straight: What Music Therapy Is and Is Not
- Guest Post: Welcome to 2014: Declaring Our Independence
- [Guest Post] "We are…MUSIC THERAPISTS!"
- [Video] We are…Music Therapists
- Declaring Music Therapy as a Stand Alone Profession
- [Video Blog] Advocating for Music Therapy in 2014
- [Video Blog] "We Are Who We Are" #MTAdvocacy
- Think You Know Music Therapy? [QUIZ]
- We are…Biased.
- Two Inches of Frozen Lessons in Music Therapy Advocacy
- [VIDEO] We Are…a Music Therapy Mash-Up
- Guest Post: Declaring Our Independence
- We are…Music Therapists!
- Round Up, January 13th
- Round Up, January 20th
- [PODCAST] I am a Music Therapist
The Rhythmic Mind (blogger Stephanie Scheffel)
Time for Music (blogger Wade Richards)
Urban Therapists (podcaster Andrea Yun-Springer)