Introduction: Advocacy —> Recognition —> Access
Since 2005, the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) and the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) have collaborated on a State Recognition Operational Plan. The primary purpose of this plan is to get music therapy and the MT-BC credential recognized by individual states so that citizens can more easily access our services. The AMTA Government Relations staff and the CBMT Regulatory Affairs staff provide guidance and technical support to state task forces throughout the country as they work towards state recognition. To date, their work has resulted in over 40 active state task forces, and a growing number bills filed each legislative session. In addition, state recognition efforts have led to the creation of a:
- music therapy license in Georgia (2012), Nevada (2011), and North Dakota (2011)
- music therapy state certification in Utah (2014)
- music therapy registry in Rhode Island (2014)
This month, our focus is on YOU and on getting you excited about advocacy.
About the Project
The 2015 Social Media Advocacy Month theme is re: VISION. It is inspired by the January 2015 release of the Scope of Music Therapy Practice (2015) and centers on how we convert challenges to advocacy opportunities.
re: VISION can have many meanings. In the case of state recognition efforts, it involves converting the challenges we face from increased opposition—a natural consequence of the increased visibility recognition efforts have generated—to opportunities to examine the profession in a new light. It is about how we Value and Imagine Success, despite challenges, and how we Invest in advocacy Opportunities Now.
Throughout the month of January, music therapy bloggers and podcasters will be sharing their tips, thoughts, and ideas on advocacy, on being an advocate, and on being a music therapist. Articles and podcast episodes will be posted to this site throughout the month. Be sure to also follow the #mtadvocacy hashtag on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to stay current with the latest happenings.
Participating Blogs and Podcasts
Annapolis Music Therapy Services
- #FLMusicTherapyWeek (FB, Twitter, and Instagram updates)
- How I Get in the Way of #MTAdvocacy (podcast)
- Judy Simpson, #MTAdvocacy CHAMPION (webinar)
- Make your Wildest MT Dreams Come True with Dena Register, PhD, MT-BC (webinar)
- Collaborative Vision: Part 1
- Collaborative Vision: Part 2
- Collaborative Vision: Part 3
- Collaborative Vision: Park 4
- Graphics for #MTAdvocacy and Beyond (graphics)
- Top 5 Reasons to Choose Music Therapy as a Career
- I Was Fired from my First Job as a Music Therapist